Friday, October 1, 2021

Mesa Sprint Triathlon & Splash & Dash

Last Saturday was race day for the Freeman family!  Elliot and I did triathlons for Elliot's first time, and the other three did the splash & dash.  This was Rupert's first time too.  Avery was cute to braid my hair so I could be like her and Zara.


My cousin, Elizabeth Curtis, was there at my first triathlon in 2007 when she did her first duathlon just like she did on this day.


Andrew and the kids cheered me on for the swim and heading out on the bike.  Having family there is the best!  This was my first triathlon in 9 years so I felt a little rusty, even though I trained pretty well.  It was my first time doing this location at Skyline High School.


The splash and dash group!  They swim a 100m and run a mile.  The kids start oldest to youngest, so Avery started first.


Breanne Johnson, a friend and neighbor, was volunteering near the finish and snapped a couple photos of Elliot and me when we passed.  So good to see a friend right before the finish when I was so tired!  Two of her daughters were near as well.


Look at that strong finish!


^ ^ pic by Breanne ^ ^
Almost done!


My cousin Liz Curtis got this one of Zara.  Her foot was hurting so she walked a bit.


Avery's friend Neva did the bike portion of a relay.


Liz took this one too.  Rupert did pretty well considering he had stitches taken out of his foot less than two weeks before the race and we couldn't find his right shoes.


Flying in!!


Rupert's summer swim team buddy, Jonathon Millet, also did the splash and dash.



Katie Willis also did the splash & dash.  Our kids trained with her at the Opie's pool and neighborhood  a month ago.  Rachel, her mom, is my running buddy that I haven't run with since February since she's due in November.  Running while pregnant is hard.



Had to get the classic #1 pose.  Andrew was worn out after the race too.  It hard work being an amazing cheerleader.

My time goal was under 1:45 (an hour & 45 minutes) and I crushed it in exactly 1:31!  Elliot's goal was to beat me and he finished in 1:19:07.  Avery raced in 14:37 (4th place in her age group), Zara did great at 17:05 (9 out of 20 for her age group), and Rupert got 2nd in his age group at 15:52.

So proud of all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment