Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Hackberry Springs hike with family

A couple days ago I got a group together to hike Hackberry Springs in the north Superstition area.  Two days before this hike I got the news that my Grand Canyon rim to rim group needed to be postponed to April.  One of the couple's mom's fractured her foot so their babysitter was out and it just fell apart from there.  Honestly, this is for the better since no one in my group trained except me.  I'm a little disappointed and a little relieved too.  It'll be great in April because the group will be more prepared and we'll have more people since Sara and Chris want to join.

I was planning on hiking Miner's Needle with Dad but since the rim to rim got postponed we went with a more family friendly hike.  This was a new trail for Dad and DJ (and Bea) so it was fin showing it off. :)

We hiked this trail in February with friends for our first time.  It was definitely greener this time.  It was steeper than I remembered but then again I didn't have Bea last time.  Honestly he did so good.  Beatrix has a great attitude when hiking and I planned on holding her at times so it was no surprise.  DJ carried her a but too at the end which was much appreciated since I had also ran 4 miles wit Sara that morning.

We took a picture at this "hugging" cactus last time too. :)


This is the actually spring.  The water comes out of the pipe Avery's foot is on.  There's a puddle of water behind dad where you can see little minnows.  Bea just loved this area.

Dad and DJ enjoyed exploring this area for the first time.  There's a campsite or two here, and hiking to the springs a scout group was just hiking out that had backpacked in the day before and camped near the spring.  DJ is interested in possibly taking his scouts there too.  Some elevation on the trail but not too far with a pack.


They had to get on the big boulders just like last time too.  This made me so nervous with the girls helping Bea but it worked out.


DJ helped Zara when she had a melt down about not turning around and going back the way we came.  I wanted to follow the wash back like we did last time because it's so pretty and a really cool hike.  Seeing the little toad (below) helped Zara cheer up.  There were also several puddles of water that were fun to find along the way.  Near the end there's a broken windmill and horse stalls.  It feels like a real adventure.



Dad had just gotten those hiking poles fora  good price at Seagull Book for those longer hikes (like Miner's Needle) so he wanted to give them a go.  There's a bit of a learning curve.  I also got a pair when he told me about them, thinking I'd bring them to the Grand Canyon, but that'll have to wait.


Bea gave me those cute flowers. :)


Love this area of the Superstition!  I can see us making this hike an annual thing.  Maybe more?  It was our second time this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment