Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Second Water trail w/Chris


Chris tool that photo.  Can you believe that sunrise?  I love watching the sun rise on a trail.  We have a beautiful state and stunning deserts here in Arizona.  I picked Chris up around 5:30am and we started hiking a quarter after 6:00.  I love how close the trails are in the north side on the Superstition.  It really was a great day for a hike.  Nice cool breeze, not too hot.

The trails starts as First water, i believe?  I actually hiked this trail with the kids (minus Bea) and Dad, and Rachel Willis and some of her family earlier this year.  It was much greener this time!  Chris and I saw probably 10 or more desert toads and those black stink bugs.  I don't remember seeing any of those last year.  It's amazing what a good monsoon season can do to the desert.




Here's the turn around point that we saw the week before at Boulder Canyon!  That hike was harder than Second Water (a little further and more elevation) so I'll switch those two hikes training for the Grand Canyon next time.


Coming back we accidentally got off trail a bit.  You can see it in the map above.  Thankfully I was able too check my phone in the RunKeeper app and get back on trail.  After that I was surprised to see a huge tarantula on the trial.  We saw one at Boulder Canyon last week but this one was bigger.  Thankfully they're harmless.

After that I was shocked to hear a rattlesnake right next top the trail on my left side.  I screamed and ran but Chris was still behind me.  With the snake all coiled up and head up Chris took it slow and took a wide sweep off the trail to get back to the trail where I was.  That shook us both up!  Thankfully nothing bad come of it and we made it back in good time. 

I really like that trail.  Second water also loops back to Hackberry which would be fun to do some time.  It crosses with another trail early on, I don't remember which, so it's a great starting point.

The Alltrails app said the Second Water to Boulder Canyon should be 8.8 miles but we did it well under 8 miles, so good to know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment