Sunday, October 24, 2021

trail running: Pass Mountain

 

Yesterday Dan McKay, Robert McKay and went trail running the Pass Mountain trail in Usery.  Dad and I had just hiked it last month so I had a good feel for what to expect.  The guys let me lead the way and set the pace which was great, apart from the last mile when I ran out of steam.

We went around the mountain clockwise just like Dad and I did last month.  It gives a more gradual uphill and because we had an early start we didn't get any sun in our eyes until just after the halfway point and even then it was just a short while because we headed west soon after.


We took a five minute rest for some food and water at the saddle about halfway.  Such a pretty spot in the shade.  Dan and  brought backpacks with food and water and Robert brought nothing.  This was a good learning experience.  We are all on the same team for the ragnar trail in three weeks so this was really good training.  Neither of them have done the ragnar trail before and this is my second time.  I did one with Charity (Shepherd) Peterson, a friends from high school, and her brother Jacob Shepherd.

This is actually my second time trail running Pass Mountain.  I remember doing it years ago with Rachel Willis, her aunt Karen, Luke Johnson and maybe Emily Dial.  I think it was to train for the Ragnar Del Sol.  I remember we went counter clockwise that time.



Dad and I hiked it in 2 hours and 38 minutes so I thought we could trail run it in under 2 hours and we did!  It took us 1 hour and 50 minutes!  We weren't doing it for time but not bad.


Over halfway I looked up at two ladies coming in the opposite direction and ended up tripping and falling down hard.  My arm stung so bad.  The longer I go the more conscious I need to be to lift my feet high enough.  It could have been worse though.  Thankfully cactus wasn't involved.

Pretty sure I'll be back at this trail before long.  I like how there are always people on it, hikers, runners, and mountain bikers, and everyone is so polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment