Tuesday, September 25, 2012

my Abue"lita"

Let me introduce you to my spunky, unique, silly, Guatemalan, one of a kind grandma, Lita!  She is seriously a pioneer and a legend and I can't help but love her and be inspired by her the more I learn her life history.  I know she's not perfect and has certain qualities I have inherited stubborn temper, but I love my Lita!  She turned 92 last month and we arranged to visit her for her birthday but she wasn't feeling well so we finally got around to visiting her on Sunday.

Our visits to Lita always begin and end the same: with big hugs and kisses.  It's a ritual.  Then we all sit down and she asks us why it's been so long since we saw her and teases that the next time we see her it will be a new year. During a visit we often have to talk loud so she can hear us and we repeat ourselves and remind her our kids names but we still enjoy each visit.  Zara was fussy during this visit but I was able to snap a few good pictures that mean so much to me!
Sometimes it's hard to get the kids to sit for long but my aunt, Tia Silvia, who lives with Lita, was able to distract Elliot and Avery with some English toffee.  Sometimes it's cookies.  Yum!!

I have so many good memories visiting Lita in this home growing up that it's hard to believe Lita will not always be here with us.  I mean, she may be doing pretty good for her age but her memory and body are not what they used to be and she's 92, for goodness sake!  I will never spend the night, watch movies past my bed time, drink chocolate milk, trace the pretty flower tile, sew/cross stitch/knit/crochet at Lita's again but I feel an urgency to let my children as time as possible with her.  I am grateful for her example in my life but I am also grateful my kids love to go to their grandparent's house.  I just wish our English family weren't so far.

Lately I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to write Lita's biography, or at least some of it.  It's taken me a long time to admit to these feelings and I feel completely overwhelmed but I also feel honored.  Isn't it wonderful to be surrounded by incredible people?

No comments:

Post a Comment