Thursday, February 2, 2012

book review: The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is one I've never heard of until recently and I feel like I've been missing out. It received a Newbery Award so you know it's going to be a good read

In summary it's about a girl named Kit who's family die so she's forced to leave her home in Barbados to live with her aunt's family in Connecticut. Set in 1687 everyone in Connecticut are Puritans and she feels like an outsider. She thinks, acts, and even dresses different than everyone which reminds me a little bit of when I moved to England. The difference is that people in the book never let her forget that she's different by constantly dissaproving her actions. When she makes friends with an old women who the Puritans believe to be a witch many people accuse her of the same crime. This causes Kit to choose between her heart and duty.

In the book I like that Kit tries her best to adapt to her new lifestyle but she remains true to herself and her beliefs. About halfway through the book I already predicted the ending but I didn't mind because it's the ending I would have written. All in all, I really enjoyed The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

1 comment:

  1. WOBP is my favorite book. :)
    I can't wait for the movie to come out!!!

    ReplyDelete