Wednesday, April 24, 2019

the Heard Museum


I learned my lesson to do my research before taking my kids to a museum after taking the girls to the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art the other day.  We used free passes from the library again and this time I checked to make sure the Heard Museum is kid friendly and it passed! :)

If you want to learn a little bit about the history of Arizona and Native Americans this is the place!  I had low expectations taking the kids but they genuinely had a great time!

 

Admittedly the fountains were their favorite thing there.  This is one of two near the front entrance.

 

Sooo many Katsina dolls.  The top row are the oldest all the way down to the bottom, the more contemporary dolls.  It's amazing seeing how they developed in color and detail over the years.

 

 

We took a snack break outside in the sculpture garden.  I've been making baby steps about having better snacks ready for the kids lately.  Normally they just want all the carbs; pretzels, crackers, etc...  This time I grabbed some grapes and homemade wheat bread.  What are your go to snacks?  Grapes, apples, and guacamole with chips are among our favorites.


There was a gallery dedicated to these beautiful handmade woven Native American rugs.  There was also a room for kids where they could to crafts and activities like a rug coloring page.

 

There was a cool gift shop where you could buy your own Katsina doll.  Elliot and Avery especially loved looking at and learning about the rocks and shells used for Native American jewelry.

The kids asked if they can come back some time so I'd say that's a win!  I think the museum has a free day or night so we'll probably do that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment