Friday, December 6, 2019

Oh Christmas Tree


 Ever since we moved into a house of our own we have been buying real trees.  It's what my family did growing up and it's been fun having it as a tradition for our kids.  Last weekend Andrew put up the outdoor lights on the house.  Since Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday we wait until after Thanksgiving to put up Christmas.  On Wednesday the kids helped put up our indoor decorations and Rupert couldn't wait to get a tree! 

We always get out trees at Home Depot.  Last year we got a Noble Fir because I love the look, but this year we went back to Douglass Fir because you can't beat the amazing pine smell they bring!  We even grabbed some free spare branches to make garlands out of.  Last night I made my first two garlands and put them on my kitchen windows and they bring so much Christmas spirit in the kitchen.  I haven't taken a picture yet because I want to dress them up a bit.


The kids each put up their own ornaments, ones they've made or given to them.  We had our first glass bauble casualty last night when Rupert accidentally dropped it.  I didn't know we even had glass ornaments anymore!  

We love decorating the tree with the rainbow lights because they're so playful and fun.  This year we added the white lights that are round and add more light.  My Target only had one so I want to grab another box at another store.  Our tree topper was thrifted years ago and reminds me of the yellow fabric star my dad always put on our tree growing up.

Since Beatrix is 19 months and at the perfect age to be interested in all the decorations we kept the bottom of the tree pretty bare.  It looks a little silly but brings me a smile knowing that she is our last and this phase will be gone soon.  We also don't put presents under the tree until Christmas so the kids won't pick at them and Bea won't open them. :)


^ ^ A little boomerang from decorating the tree. ^ ^


We have the beautiful shelves in the kitchen I get to decorate too!  We moved into this house a year ago this week so decorating was super minimal.  This year I'm having fun figuring out what to do with our decorations.  So far I only have the bottom shelves decorated.  I got 4 of these pre-lit houses from Target for $5 each.  The other three are on the long shelf by the sink.  

We also had these glittery bottle brush trees from Target last year.  A few are on these shelves in the kitchen and the rest are on the piano.  Speaking of piano, our piano is green and fits right in this time of year.  I didn't take a picture of the piano yet so maybe this list will need a part two with more home photos.


 The kids really wanted some Christmas magic in their rooms which can easily happen with a little twinkle lights.  This is the boy's room where we dropped twinkle lights around their bunkbed and added the Christmas tree.  Elliot's bongo drum came out of the closet as a perfect nod to The Drummer Boy and a Christmas print was placed over the frame.

The girls also got twinkle lights in their room as well as a couple trees and a reindeer.

So excited for Christmas in just a couple weeks!  Of course there has been a lot of Christmas shopping going on but to help keep our focus on Christ, giving and service we have tried to participate in the Light the World initiative.  We started off watching this new nativity video from the Church of Jesus Christ and it is unlike any other nativity video I've seen.  Very reverent and powerful.    Happy holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment