Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Avery stops a bad habit

All my babies have been self soothers except Rupert.   Elliot and Zara were thumb suckers like me (and my dad and his dad) and Avery always sucked her middle two fingers.  When Elliot started kindergarten I encouraged him to stop sucking his thumb because "he was too old" and a couple weeks in he had!  I tried that again with Avery and it didn't work.  So here we were, several years later in 2rd grade and she was still sucking her fingers at night and in class!  Her teacher was very good about reminding Avery to stop without embarrassing her but this needed to stop.
A little positive reinforcement goes a long way!  I let Avery choose the parameters.  She choose the number of slip up days and weeks before earning her reward.  She even had some say on what the reward was.  I wanted it to be something that motivated her.   I love how she wrote her own compliments on her chart. :)  One month later and she did it!
I've never taken Avery to the nail salon before and she has beautiful nails, so this was a special treat!  So proud of Avery for accomplishing this on her own!
 The next day she wanted to give me my own mani/pedi after church.
It started out great on my toes but my fingers were a little messy.  :/  She'll get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment